Monday, June 6, 2011

SORRY THIS POST IS LONG......but I had to vent!

I have decided that it is time to be a little less eager about the books that I buy for my nook. I love to have a couple of books on there to read at all times just in case I want a change, but I was so very disappointed in the last couple of self help diet/fitness books that I ordered. I had seen interviews with the authors for both of these books on TV (I forgot they are selling their books, so they make it sound like the greatest thing ever created, and I got sucked in). Granted there are some good ideas in the 20 years younger book, but not enough to warrant the cost. The authors always say they have great recipes that you can make and enjoy at home, but really who wants to make "braised chicken legs in red wine with lentils, fennel, and kale"? I have never had kale, fennel, or red wine in my pantry, I might be missing out, I probably will never know. How about "slow cooked lamb with tomato, cauliflower, and chard". Chard? really, I guess I dont have a sophisticated enough palate. I did however, find some good skin care tips, but the suggested products were the authors finely designed product line, which you had to order over the internet and was very expensive. The book had a few good health and fitness ideas but for the most part too scientific in the approach, the title of chapter one "The art and science of aging should have been my first clue. I guess if you want to know all the layers of the skin thats fine, but I guess I just want the information presented to me plain, simple and to the point. The book is in my opinion was just a bust. I am sorry Jeff, I dont think I will be looking 20 years younger, any time soon.



THE BEST PARAGRAPHS FROM THE ENTIRE BOOK:
"One thing many people don't realize when they're younger--but whcih becomes crystal clear with age-- is that life is incredibly precious. Every moment counts. You have it within you to live each of those moments to the fullest. If you make the decision to keep your body and mind in the best possible shape, It's going to help ensure that your time on this earth is not only long but, most important, well lived."

"If there is a single factor that is the foundation stone for all successful aging, a factor that allows every other element, encourages every other element, and nurtures every other element, that factor must surely be a healthy self-image: We need to approve of ourselves, to take pride in what we have become, to feel a vibrancy in our moral sense--we must, quite simply, be happy with what we are."

So there you have it, I guess that last paragraph just told me that I don't need to buy anymore self-help diet/fitness books. Just be happy with who and what I am.

1 comment:

  1. That is a really good quote! I needed that one today...and by the way you don't need any diet books. You are too cute! You really are in great shape and are beautiful compared to others your age! xoxo

    ReplyDelete